Sunday, March 25, 2012

Service Learning Blog

As far as my activism goes for this week I have spent a lot of time at meetings. We met after class on Thursday to discuss how much one on one time we have with our community partners and to discuss the upcoming event. Afterwards I had a brief meeting with the fundraising committee to decide on some things to do to raise money. Knowing that raising money for rakes, shovels, and shirts is a lot to take on we decided to focus this upcoming week on rakes and shovels and then dedicate our time after the event on the shirts. I think that we were very successful this meeting on having open communication, but unfortunately I think that we fall short on everyone as a group meeting up together. Everyone has very busy schedules, me included, and I can see that as a main concern for now. I now understand how it may be hard for activists and their different events they put on to raise awareness. Everyone runs on such different time that scheduling is probably a huge concern for many women's organizations.

Before this class I knew very little about the Farm Worker population and that is where I think that this project works best with activism. I think that the whole point is to bring awareness to certain issues and by pointing out the difficulties the Farm Worker population faces I have learned a lot and I have been able to educate others a lot as well. I think it is interesting when Ann Russo talks about white feminists and how we don't consider racism our issue (Russo, 299). I think that it is important to put aside issues of race and culture to join together in an equal relationship as women. We must first unite under common struggles and goals and then once that is done then we can begin to address those issues together.

I think that this project relates to Global Feminism because no matter where we come from and what we do, as women we can all relate to the same struggles. The whole point to feminism and to activism is to concentrate on a goal and achieve that goal no matter the differences we may have. I think that I am and will continue to understand a different community which I did not know about before and grow because of it.

Mohanty, Chandra Talpade, Ann Russo, and Lourdes Torres. Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1991. Print.

Word Count: 400

1 comment:

  1. Gracie,
    I am glad you are learning from this project. I want you to rethink and unpack some of your statements about how women can organize around gender. In particular, you say that we should put aside race so that we can come together. What I think Russo is actually calling for is to make race central to how we organize as women, instead of trying to wipe away these histories and struggles, so that we can organize around shared outrage and similar macro level struggles.

    ReplyDelete